Monday, June 14, 2010

Reality Check

Let's face it...You never know when those 'light bulb' moments are going to hit. You don't know the how and you don't always know the why right after the fact, but it might sink in eventually. But - we all have them - and we all NEED them. God knows when we need them and sometimes they are in a kind act of a friend of stranger, sometimes its when something bad happens, and sometimes it's just a change in heart that might happen when we hear a song on the radio.

Have you ever been so wrapped up in what's going on with you - your opinions, your feelings, your downfalls, successes, and issues that you completely check out of reality? You aren't really effected by things that go on around you unless they directly connect to you and you are going through the motions of work, school, family, whatever?

I've been taking someone for granted. Our friendship has been a slow one to develop over the past two years, in fact I had a very hard time crossing the bridge of being co-workers to being friends. It is no secret that this year has been a struggle for me, to say the least. This person has been a rock for me when I needed to cry, needed to vent, or just needed to sit down and talk. You know those conversations where you can lay EVERYTHING out on the table and they don't judge and they don't even give advice unless you solicit it. The one that can see you are having a terrible day but doesn't pry or push, but looks at you and says, "I'm here when you are ready". That's her.

On Friday tragedy struck this friend. She was having a normal day at work when she got a phone call from her frantic seven year old. All she knew was that her dad had been hurt so she rushed home to find out what was going on. Unfortunately an accident on the family farm had taken her dad - in the blink of an eye. What? How could that be? He was at school a few days before watching her son's class preform a mock-trial...And hadn't I had a conversation with him the day of the grandparent lunch? Yes, there was no way this young Papa had left the face of the earth that fast. I started flashing back to being a six year old and my cousin breaking the news to me of my grandfather's death. As a six year old you take a lot for granted, and honestly, the only thing I understood was that everyone was sad and I needed to pass out tissues. My heart breaks for her two kids who won't get to go fishing with Papa any more, or ride the tractor on the farm. It breaks my heart that Christie won't be able to pick the phone up and call her dad when she needs advice, because lets face it, little girls never get to old for Daddy's advice. Most of all - she, nor her family, deserve this. She has taken this with more grace and understanding then I think I ever would.

Today I am thankful for Christie. For her kindness, friendship, and contagious laughter. Praying for peace and understanding as her family continues to heal from their loss.

No comments:

Post a Comment