Tuesday, May 24, 2011

365 Days









I have ALWAYS been a fan of birthdays. My birthday - your birthday - your kids birthday. You let me know, and I'll be there ready to eat cake and buy you a cute present. There is something about celebrating life, no matter how old you get, because I'll tell you like I tell my neighbor...It's better than the alternative. My cousin found this old picture and put it on facebook. He said I look like "Hey, it's my birthday, give me more presents." I think it kinda captures the joy I have had over a life time of celebrating all birthdays.






With that being said, my birthday last year was not one I care to remember. The people who love me, family and friends, did their best to help me celebrate...but never in my life have I wanted a day to be over as bad as I wanted May 27th, 2010 to end. I felt like I had nothing to celebrate. I haven't looked back in my blog to see if I even posted about that birthday...I don't want to remember it.






I had the pleasure of having an early dinner with a dear friend tonight. We talked and talked about God's blessings, some I have poured out to my readers (all five of you), and some that I'm just not ready to share yet, but will very soon. Almost a year ago, we sat at dinner with my mom and cried about my friends struggles, about my struggles...and basically just had a pity party. Sometimes us gals need those in order to life each other up and crawl out of our pit. As we were getting into the car she tapped on my window and she said, "Allison, it's pretty amazing the difference a year can make." Last year I didn't even know who I was anymore...I was questioning everything about my life...and have FINALLY come to realization that God allows us to go through our struggles to only make us stronger, to use these struggles to help others, and to prepare us for the future.






Tonight after sharing some pretty personal things in Bible study one of the ladies asked this question, "Don't you think that God sometimes uses our darkest moments to prepare us for the blessings he has in store?" When I think about the blessings I have in my life right now, I wasn't ready for them 365 days ago. Dr. Stanley has said in several of his sermons if things are going right in your life you better watch out, because its time for something to knock you off the mountain top. I realize my journey from 'the pit to the palace' won't always be on top of the mountain, but I do feel better prepared for whatever God has planned in my future - good and bad - Because lets face it - He never promised me a bed of roses.






Year 27 is ending much better than it began. I have nothing but hope for year 28. Come what may, I have a Lord who has poured his perfect love into my heart. I have a wonderful family, although we aren't perfect (hey, whose family is), and friends that are more precious to me than gold. Tonight - I am thankful for you all. Thank you for loving me in the pit, and loving me out of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment