Monday, May 31, 2010

Let Summer Begin...




I am so ready for summer. Ready for end of the year testing to be done...ready to hit the 'complete inventory' button on my Destiny report...ready to walk out the doors of a place I love and just take a break...or at least be able to devote myself to the remaining 9 weeks of summer school.


Memorial Day weekend is always a bitter sweet one of sorts. First of all, I want to say thank you to all of those who have in the past and who continue to fight for our freedom in this country. I've always had an appreciation for these men and women, but not until my cousin spent some time over seas did it really hit me how real it is.


My family usually spends time at the lake on Memorial day weekend because it is usually a 3 day weekend for me and it always falls around my birthday. It is the opening weekend of 'lake season' (or pool or beach - whichever tickles your fancy) and I look forward to it every year (despite the crazy business of lake traffic and some folks who have no business driving watercraft).


This past weekend was Gilbert's first trip to Lake Gaston. I was eager to see how he would react to all the changes, a new place, the water, the boat. Luckily he loved it ALL. He made himself right at home and wasn't scared of anything. Much to my disapproval he wanted to jump in the lake...finally I caved and he jumped in not once, but twice. Good news - He can swim, and quite well I might add. :)


After friends and family left last night, Mom, Miss Robin, and I had a girls night of movies, giggles, and eventually sleep. We all know that I am a person who finds it very hard to relax and forget the world around me. Lake Gaston has been THE place for that over the past few years/summers. That is why this weekend was so bitter sweet - summer is so close I can feel the sunburn on my shoulders - yet it feels so far away. Looking forward to focusing on myself and summer school after two and a half more weeks of work.

No comments:

Post a Comment