Monday, May 3, 2010

Teacher Appriciation Week

Well, for those of you who don't know, this week is Teacher Appreciation Week. Kudos to the PTO for already spoiling us rotten with a treat first thing this morning. It's nice to be appreciated, even if it's the simple gesture of a pat on the back, or looking us right in the eye and telling us 'thank you'.

Have you ever thought about how much you take for granted that your teachers taught you? For example, have you ever tried to teach a group of children how to tell time using an analog clock? If that was a success, have you tried to teach them elapsed time? During my student teaching these very math lessons were the ones that made me realize how many of my past teachers I took for granted. I was frustrated, why didn't these kids understand, this is so easy...but guess what Miss Rose...Someone taught you along the way didn't they? I've always tried to keep that in the front of my mind for the past five years.

Now for a special thank you to some teachers I work with. We have an awesome EC team where I work. A very special little one benefits from one of those teams this year and I don't think they understand what they mean to me. I used to want to be an EC teacher, and went as far in undergrad to obtain a degree in Specific Learning Disabilities...just in case. I had a grand plan of using this degree after teaching in the regular classroom for three years...Isn't it funny how WE write all these big plans for our selves, but God knows what is best so he sometimes has to redirect us? Anyway, I TRULY believe that God hand picks absolutely amazing individuals to educate and love his most unique children.

Today I am thankful for those special women at the end of the third grade hall.

I am thankful for Jennifer W. who inspired me to be a cheerleader for the underdog.

I am thankful for Mrs. Adams, my 2nd grade teacher who knew I couldn't spell and would never be able to (she told my mom to buy me a dictionary to keep close by at all times), but loved me for it anyway.

I am thankful for everyone in my path of education who taught me what I know, as a student and as a teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment