Thursday, April 22, 2010

As I Go On My Way

So I am just going to lay it on the line - I really struggled with my Bible Study this week. When Ashley walked in the door last night I said, "You will have to do all the talking because I have nothing to say, seriously number six is completely blank." It was one of those lessons while you read it you are thinking...waiting...knowing exactly what's suppose to come out of it...but it never quite does...or didn't until today anyway.

One of the assignments (number six actually) was to finish the following sentences when considering how I could practically administer Christ's love
As I go on my way...
As I go out of my way...
In all kinds of ways...

Did you ever see the movie Pay it Forward? What an awesome little kid taking a school assignment above and beyond, we could all learn a lot from him. Ashley had a great idea of 'paying it forward' as she 'went on her way' and said she wanted to go through a drive through this week and pay for the car behind her in line. How awesome would that be to receive such a simple yet thoughtful unexpected gift? The person behind you could be having the worst possible day and that could be a huge boost.

I went through a drive through tonight and the thought of that didn't cross my mind until it was too late. I was also preoccupied by the girl working the drawer at the window...as people would place orders through the speaker she would smack her lips and roll her eyes - as I said please and thank you she just went through the motions...doing her job with a terrible attitude...personality of a wet mop I always like to say. Not ten feet away from the drive through window this hit me...

As I go on my way I can show God's love by providing a smile and a God bless you to total strangers...like the girl at the drive through window. She was apparently having a very bad day...or maybe that is her personality...but she definitely needed to see God's love.

God has been working on my heart a lot over the past few months, but today it almost came to a breaking point. Without going into a lot of detail I will share this...God put someone into my life at the beginning of the school year. I've found it extremely difficult to get past certain attitudes and behaviors of this person. The opportunity has come up this year not only to show me that God had a sense of humor but was also trying to change my heart. I...like the girl at the drive through...went through the motions...but my heart never changed. This person is possibly facing the hardest days of his/her life and has a very small support system. I found myself offering this person a heart felt, "I know we aren't your family, but we are all here for you." I truly feel like that. The circumstances of recent days have made me realize how fast life can change. We have no right to judge people because they are different. My sudden reaction to the words out of my mouth today was - how dare you offer this person comfort, think of all the negative thoughts you've had and even negative words you've said...

As I go out of my way, I will make more effort to help someone who shares many different opinions and attitudes than I through a possibly difficult time.

Today I am thankful for a change of heart...it's still in progress, but it is certainly in the works.

1 comment:

  1. I think the fact that you offered is a change of heart. You went from thinking negatively to offering him/her your shoulder. That's a heck of a step.

    ReplyDelete