Friday, April 16, 2010

Arizona


Many of you know that I spent the 2010 Spring Break in Arizona visiting Bonnie, Todd, Jake, and Emmie. This trip was one years in the making and now that they will be headed back this way in the Summer/Fall it was time to take the plunge. The trip could not have come at a better time. My body, mind, and spirit needed a break from the reality that is my life.
For those of you that know my biggest weaknesses are spelling and geography, you will not be surprised to know that a few days before the trip I literally had to look at a map to realize exactly how far Arizona is from North Carolina. Being that far from home was such a strange feeling. I've never been any farther West than Texas so this was quite an adventure for me.

There were many new, or I guess you could say renewed experiences for me, from the plane ride to the helicopter, and being back 'in the saddle again' (literally). There were so many special memories made during this past week and I absolutely loved spending time with my 'southwest family'. It was exciting to wake up on Easter morning and find surprises left by the Easter bunny for Jake and Emmie. Bonnie and I had the best time craftin', taking pictures, and baking (even though that was not a success). I was able to see a side of Todd that I never knew existed. It would take me an entire day to put this trip into words and even then I could never do it justice.

There are, however, two distinct memories that I have from the week that I never want to forget. We were visiting Sedona on Easter Sunday and Bonnie asked me to walk with Emmie and Todd back to the car. She and Jake were on a mission to buy some 'must have' rocks. As Emmie and I were walking back to the car and talking about something silly I'm sure, she reached up without me knowing and held my hand. I wanted to stop and put that moment in a bottle so I could remember it for ever. I love kids, but not being around Emmie and Jake very often I was worried how they would react to me invading their home...This moment let me know that I had been approved. The walk to the car was way too short.


The second memory came the day before. Unless you've ever seen the Grand Canyon you have no idea of its vastness and beauty. I had the opportunity to see it by helicopter with Todd and on foot with all of the family...We spent hours that day just soaking in the wonders of perhaps what is God's most beautiful masterpiece. I had the opportunity towards the end of the day to walk along the rim of the canyon on my own. I found a bench and could feel the presence of God pulling at me to sit and enjoy what He had created. As I sat there I could almost hear him say, "Allison look what I have created for you to enjoy...how can you see this and not believe that everything is in my control? Allison, I am enough." Gosh, just typing the words here bring tears to my eyes. As I sat the hymn "How Great Though Art" came to my mind over and over again. A verse in Psalms also came to mind, "BE STILL AND KNOW THAT I AM GOD." I can't explain to you the comfort that those words brought to me that day, and have done for the days that followed. I will attempt to include a picture that ALMOST sums up the feelings of that day.

Today I am thankful for my family. I am truly blessed to be part of a family of believers and who love me no matter what. Sometimes I wonder what I did to deserve them.

No comments:

Post a Comment