Sunday, April 25, 2010

Reasons to Relay


This weekend was the annual Nash County Relay for Life. This is a cause that I've only become involved with over the past five years. The school I use to work at puts in a huge effort to raise funds for the American Cancer society and always puts their heart and soul into it. This was the first year out of five that I was not a part of their team. Although I had transferred last year, my current school did not have a team and I was welcomed back by the BES team. This year our small school put up a good effort with about ten dedicated individuals that made it happen. Friday night was a bitter sweet one. It was a transition from my old Relay family to my new one. It was a time to stop and reflect on those who have fought the battle and won it, and those who have fought the good fight and gone on to their eternal resting place. I have so many reasons to Relay.


I relay for Richard - A dear friend who taught us all what it meant to be a great friend and to live life to its fullest. He lost his short battle in May of 2007.


I relay for Kay - The first one who had enough faith in my teaching abilities to hire me to educate first grade students. The proud grandmother of Anna-Kate, mother of Josh and Will, and friend to many. She is a SURVIVOR!


I relay for Jackie - One of the most amazing women that I know. The truest definition of a friend and of a Christian. She is a SURVIVOR.


I relay for a dear friend's daughter - Someone I never knew, but feel like I did. She changed the world in more ways than she will ever know, and continues to on a daily basis. She lost her battle in April of 2008.


I relay for the ones in the future who will have to fight this terrible demon. For those who will win, and for those who will put up a good fight and find an eternal home.


I relay for our future children and grandchildren - may they find the cure that we all long for.


Today I am thankful for the four people mentioned above, and many others who have been effected by this disease. May we all take NOTHING for granted, because life can change in an instant.

No comments:

Post a Comment